Thursday, July 17, 2014

The 12 1/2 Rules of writing. . . .is that it?

I saw this poster the other day on Pinterest and thought I would share it here. I found it lovely that there are only 12 1/2 rules to being a writer. Sounds easy enough right? :)



But really when you break it down, it resembles more closely the daily ins and outs of writing. Here are the ones I need to work on to become a better author:
1- Writing every day, finding the time, chasing down the muse and pushing through the wall.
2-Stepping back and really being honest with myself about my writing. Did I just skip that paragraph? yeah, I did. My reader will to. Sharpen it or pull it out.
5-Widen my characters interests and looks. I don't fit perfectly in a social norm box, and neither should my characters, make them memorable and as unique as people really are!
8-Some stories are there to just be enjoyed, not necessarily to have a moral, don't stress if mine is on the enjoyment side.
9-Inspiration strikes when you can't find a paper or pen, I'm sure of it. I have many grocery receipts and eyeliner scrawled notes from moments I was caught unprepared without pen and paper.
12- I've personally found that if I'm stuck, I think of what the story would sound like written from another characters POV and I find I can break through my wall of worry and get back to the scene I have to finish.

And there you have it!

 What rules do you like best?

No comments: