Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Resolve

It's January! we've made it through the delightful chaos of the holiday season. Now ready to make some resolutions for the new year. So how did it all get started?

Wikipedia says this:
The ancient Babylonians made promises to their gods at the start of each year that they would return borrowed objects and pay their debts.
The Romans began each year by making promises to the god Janus, for whom the month of January is named.
In the Medieval era, the knights took the "peacock vow" at the end of the Christmas season each year to re-affirm their commitment to chivalry.
At watch-night services, many Christians prepare for the year ahead by praying and making these resolutions.
The concept, regardless of creed, is to reflect upon self-improvement annually.
So I'm reflecting on the resolutions I made last year and deciding what worked and what was completely ignored, and what do I want to work on this year. This is what I decided. I need to make only a few goals to work on--focus to achieve. :) And they need to be in categories.
I came up with five categories that work best for me:
Church
Writing
Family
Personal
Financial
Next I thought up no more than two goals for each, and I wrote them out in detail. I read once that goals need to be specificmeasurableattainablerelevant and time-bound. The time length is already taken care of--one year, and I wrote them out in detail so that checks off my specific requirement so I need to make them relevant, measurable and attainable and I'm all set.
I'm looking forward to working on my own goals this year, and excited to see what the new year brings!

No comments: